We kept the car more or less the same as the year before except for adding additional driver comforts. However, we worked on driving faster and better. This was definitely shown in the results this year compared to year. With better strategy, now that we have a good race radio system, we were able to optimize driver changes and fueling as much as possible. Also, we were more careful to not mix it up with other cars, which kept us on the track longer.
We did have to have our first tow ever when we lost a wheel at Buttonwillow on the first day. Dan, was out his first time on track in the Crapper and the second or third lap, lost the front driver’s side wheel when the wheel studs sheered off. Fortunately, Dan and the car were both just fine.
The race was shut down right afterwards due to the extreme 110F heat and we luckily had 2 hours to get new wheel studs and put the wheel back on and were able to start back up with the rest of the cars. It did cost us plenty of positions, but we were able to recover fairly well. Plus, the car drove even better the second day! We did place lower in this race than the year before, but we made up for it with the other two races this year.
Some statistics from this year and comparisons with last year:
We survived. It was a bit scary at times during the night because we didn’t have really good lights, but in general, we did OK. The best thing is that we actually placed relatively competitively at 44 out of 145 cars. We’re really gunning for Thunderhill and we’re hoping to place even better in that one!
We survived Sears Pointless 2012! We battled through our incompetence and the raging rain on Saturday and picked up more steam on Sunday as the weather cleared up. We’re all tired now but I’ll post pictures and videos in the next week. We placed 96th out of 172.
Another very productive weekend. We put some sheet metal up on the roof to cover the T-Top to make the car safer as well as added more padding to the roll cage bars. We also mounted the instrument cluster properly inside the car. Most importantly, we put the new alternator in and got the car running! It looks and works great and we can’t wait to race it.
In terms of decorations and theming, more painting as well as mounting props. We mounted the vents, wires for the time warp, and the very important interior piece, the time circuits! They look much better than planned, that’s for sure.
Peter cutting the door to allow for more roll bar padding
Doug using the plasma torch to cut the stainless steel roof
Prepping the car
Doug trying out the window exit
Ben prepping the time circuits for installation
Juan putting on the vents
The car interior showing off the time circuits, now installed
A very productive weekend was had. Ben and Ken pulled out the alternator and determined that it was dead. Ben ordered a new alternator which cost about $180. Now that we bought a fuel pump at around $100 or so and the alternator, we’re pushing the budget but we’ll sell some parts to make up for it so we have a little more padding room if something else goes wrong. Oh well.
We also started on the decorations. We spent most of the weekend prepping and painting the car.
David covering up the precious wheels
Ken and Ben checking out the alternator. It’s dead Jim
David using his drafting skills to give us a race number